Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My Happiness

Happiness is simple. Or at least it should be. It's a choice we make, really. We can choose to be happy, or choose to be angry/sad. As someone who tends to let little stupid things ruin her day, I'm slowly learning to let said things go & not freak out as much. I think I, & the people around me, probably already notice a huge difference in me.

Here's a short story (ooo, fun!):
Truth be told, we pretty much struggle each month to pay bills. (I don't normally admit this to people.) This is extremely frustrating & stressful. If you've ever been there.. then you know how this is. Sparing you the details, I'll just say this: a lot of arguing, sleepless nights & tears have been shed. Seems like we just can't catch a break. Not knowing if we can pay this or that.. Where are we going to get the money from? What are we going to do? How long is it going to be like this? Living so stressed out all the time, expecting things to go wrong, because it's what we're used to.. can do heavy damage. To your family, to your close relationships, to yourself. With some help from a friend, she made me realize something. We always work it out. No matter what, we get our bills paid & on time. So.. why am I fretting so much?

This is when I knew I had to change my attitude & mindset. And so I did! I started focusing on the truly important things. There's no need for me to be all anxiety-ridden over stuff that just works out in the end. Because then I look back & think, 'well that was stupid'. Damn it, I could've slept!

Things still aren't perfect, but I can make an essentially "bad phase" into a bearable one. How, you ask? By keeping things that matter to you most in your mind at all times. Being thankful for your health.. being thankful & counting your lucky stars that your child's health isn't in danger.. Release the tiny, petty things. So what if that minivan cut you off on the way to work.. don't let it break you down! Focus on the things that bring you true joy & happiness.

These are 4 things that bring me complete happiness:
 1. Duh, y'all. He's healthy, he's happy.. I'm the luckiest person in the world.

2. My husband. He's the one that provides for me & our son. Taking on extra computer work so we can make ends meet. Without him doing this, not sure where we'd be. He loves us so much. So thankful!

3. My BFF (you know that's right), Kari. When I was going through all the crap last year, she was my rock. My go-to. My person. (Grey's, anyone?) She put up with me practically every night when I just had to get out of the house. And she listened to me yap (bitch, really) for hours. No judgments. No criticizing my actions. I don't think I've ever properly told her how thankful I am to have her in my life. Not to get all mushy.. but..I'm seriously so happy to call her my friend. She keeps me on the up & up. I hope you all have a Kari, too. If not, go find you one. :)

4. YOGA. I practice yoga every day in the morning. Now I couldn't imagine starting my day any other way! It helps me prepare for the day & wake up with ease, release my stresses, & relax! This is one of my favorite yoga routines by Tara Stiles. Very challenging as far as balance. So worth it, though! Give it a shot sometime!





Look, people, we all have bad days & bad phases.. & we're entitled to have these once in a great while. And while it's not OK to avoid your problems altogether, you can at least look to that one (or two, or three) thing(s) that help carry you through the tough times. Bringing you out of your funk & into a life worth living.

What's your happiness?

xo, tracy 

Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Since I stopped working outside the home its been hard and ive been feeling the stress lately, but you have reminded me to not stress. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carrie! It's nice to know someone can relate a bit!

      Delete